Information and history

ID #1718

Port Nolloth – Diamond of the West Coast, Namaqualand, Northern Cape.

It was initially called Aukwa-towa, Nama for “Where the water took the old man away” In 1840 the name was changed to Robbebaai (Seal Bay). In 1855 it was renamed Port Nolloth in honour of Commander Nolloth who determined the depth of the harbour. Interesting facts and facilities include:

•    The first diamond was discovered by Jack Carstens near McDougall’s Bay in 1925
•    Neat wooden houses were inported from Denmark in 1895, some of which still exist.
•    Oyster shells of the species ostrea prismatica, which only exist in warm water, were found in Alexander Bay. It is therefore believed that the West Coast was once a warm ocean.
•    The copper train was pulled by mules. The telephone exchange was built where the mules were stabled.
•    Facilities include First National Bank, a 24-hour petrol station, 4x4 vehicle hire, airports at Springbok and Alexander Bay, restaurants, coffee shops, arts and crafts and curio shops, a hotel, guest houses and camping accommodation.
•    Historic Museum
•    Harbour and lighthouse
•    Graveyard (Willem Koegelenberg Park)
•    Crayfish factory
•    Roman Catholic Church
•    Sizamile shebeen
•    McDougall’s Bay Holiday Resort

On the West Coast of South Africa, 90-km south of the Namibian border.  Travel west on the R382 to Port Nolloth from Steinkopf, which is on the N7 north of Springbok, which is at the intersection of the N7 with the N14. BFPort

Contct:               Carlos Rhine and Alta Kotze,
Port Nolloth Tourism and Information
Box 114 Beach Road, Port Nolloth 8280
+27 (27) 851 7176 telephone
+27 (27) 851 8865 fax

Tags: -

Related entries:

Last update: 2014-05-11 23:20
Author: Alan McIver
Revision: 1.2

Digg it! Print this record Send to a friend Show this as PDF file
Propose a translation for Propose a translation for
Please rate this entry:

Average rating: 0 out of 5 (0 Votes )

completely useless 1 2 3 4 5 most valuable

You cannot comment on this entry